The agricultural programs seek to improve the quality of life for the small farmers, breeders and fishermen in Minia, Beni Suef and Qalubyia. The program develops the rural districts and enables them to invest the available resources and experiences in order to reach the social, environmental and economic competitive advantage during March 2014. The following points took place:
1- Organizing small farmers in non-official organization and official cooperatives that adopt their issues.
660 members (50 new members and 610 renewed their membership) joined the farmers’ associations of whom 121 were women from local communities.
2- Activating the role and participation of women
CEOSS implemented income generating projects for 145 women with a total amount of 164,950 EGP, where it included breeding poultry, sorting milk, breeding goats and sheep and selling vegetables and fruits in local communities. This aimed at increasing the participation of female farmers inside the rural community and admitting the importance of their role in increasing family income.
3- Capacity Building:
CEOSS measured the capacities and analysed the performance gaps for one civil society organization and 2 elected committees using a specialized questionnaire.
We also held 3 meetings to build the capacities of elected committee members in local communities, where 21 members attended the meeting of whom 5 were women.
Capacities of partner organizations were built to apply territorial development approach, this took place through holding 8 meetings for 380 persons of whom 100 were women.
4- High productivity agricultural models.
– Improved the productivity of corn crops for the small farmers and raised their awareness of good agricultural practices. Also provided high productivity seeds for an area of 344 acres owned by 464 families
– Cooperated with the Land Reclamation Agency of the Ministry of Agriculture as well as the Ministry of Water Resources in order to empower 1148 families of small farmers of accessing irrigation water quota for their various crops and clearing canals
– Applied good agricultural practices to increase productivity and improve the quality, where 133,470 tons of garlic and cumin crops were produced for 31 families of small farmers.
– Conducted a panel for 27 farmers and representatives of the agricultural guidance of the Ministry of Agriculture on the good agricultural practices for cucumber and potato.
– Held a meeting to discuss needs and problems of small farmers with representatives of the Ministry of Agriculture in Beni Suef. This meeting was attended by 35 representatives of the farmers’ associations and governmental bodies.
5- Livestock Development
1204 families of livestock breeders took part in the vet care campaigns and livestock vaccination. This was implemented in cooperation with the Veterinary Services. They conducted 3 preventive and immunizing campaigns.
We also improved the productivity of poultry breeders by providing them with high productivity strains for 644 families of small farmers.