Conducting a Research Study:
A research study has been conducted to monitor the situation of child laborers in the Old Cairo district. Through this study we present and analyze the results that have been reached during the field interviews with child laborers; reach conclusions; present recommendations that child laborers, before researchers, see should be taken very seriously, work on them and set executive plans to be achieved on the part of the decision makers.
The study methodology was applied on child laborers in the district of Old Cairo (50 boys and girls). It was taken into consideration to choose children from different job categories so as to have different kinds of jobs for the children. The most important outcomes of the research are:
- Implementing an advocacy campaign to activate protection policies for child laborers.
- Implementing an advocacy campaign to activate the role of the child protection committee in Old Cairo to monitor all institutions dealing with child laborers in order to activate child protection policies.
Conducting a meeting between the children and the director of Old Cairo Educational Administration:
This meeting was conducted according to a decision made by the protection committee. Attendants were: Ms. Asmaa al-Deeb, General Director of Old Cairo Educational Administration; school principals of Abou el Seoud Primary School, Abou el Seoud Preparatory School, the Scientific Institute in Old Cairo; 3 children members of the elected committee and school students from the above mentioned schools. The school principals were confronted with the problems presented by the children. Teachers admitted some shortcomings in the schools especially the test halls, classes, and group cheating. Principals have been faced with the fact that there are teachers who receive sums of money from pupils.
It was necessary to conduct this meeting for the importance of the confrontation because it has proved that children are capable of seeking their rights. It was agreed to take care not to cheat in tests and to face the phenomenon of teachers taking money from children. A decree was issued to open reading committees for pupils who are facing difficulties in reading and writing and to report on the situation of school children by school principals. It was also agreed to conduct a meeting between the same children and the principals in order to follow up on these issues.
Electing a committee of child laborers:
A committee was elected in Old Cairo. There were 30 candidates of child laborers. Child laborer voters reached a number of 74 children. The election process extended for 6 hours (from 10 am to 4 pm) according to the request of the children due to their personal and work circumstances. The results were announced after the elections were over. The number of children members of the elected committee reached a number of 11 members (6 girls and 5 boys). During the election process the children felt the importance of what they were doing and built faith in the role of the committee and insisted that the members of the committee must work towards providing their rights as child laborers.
- Conducting 1 training session for teachers attended by 28 teachers on methods of using active learning methods in order to attract students to school and limit children’s dropping out of school.
- Conducting 1 symposium for families of child laborers attended by 30 individuals on the importance of education and the right of children to education.
- Rehabilitating a number of 10 workshops with safety and vocational health equipment from which 20 child laborers have benefitted.
- Conducting a number of 5 trainings for child laborers and workshop owners with the participation of a number of 89 children and workshop owners on the methods of using safety and vocational health equipment and the legal rights of children.
- Signing contracts of progression between the child laborers and workshop owners to ensure children’s obtaining their rights.
- Conducting 4 meetings. These were: to exchange experiences between the project committee and another committee experienced in the work of elected committees; a meeting with media professionals and the elected committees to present the children’s problems; and a meeting with workshop owners and Ministry of Manpower officials.
- Conducting a number of 3 symposiums attended by 60 family members of child laborers on the economic rights and finding alternative sources of income.
- Signing 2 protocols of cooperation between the organization and the social security administration and the health administration.
- Conducting 2 symposiums attended by 50 families of child laborers and workers in the field of health insurance on the health rights of child laborers and the importance of early detection of cases that need medical intervention.