Persons with disabilities suffer from difficult conditions in the Egyptian society that eventually led to their isolation and marginalization. One of the main factors that guarantee persons with disabilities integration into society is the accessibility of the environment; without an adapted environment for transportation and movement of persons with disabilities, their integration in education or social activities cannot be ensured. The availability of assistive mobile devices is the basic criterion to ensure persons with disabilities’ movement and living. Also without rehabilitation and vocational training and employment opportunities, they can never become financially independent.
During August 2014, Erada program participated through the mobile employment unit in the youth employment fair conducted in coordination with the Youth Ministryy and the participation of 100 Egyptian companies. Erada program was the only one responsible for the availability of Job and training opportunities for people with disabilities participating in the meeting and linking them with the Egyptian companies. Due to this success, it has been agreed with the Youth Ministry to arrange another employment fair for people with disabilities during September.
Through the Constructional Adaptation workshop, the program succeeded in the completion of adaptation works at the Culture center of El-Slam that serves over 5000 citizens in cooperation with Ministry of Cultural Affairs including:
- External ramp for the accessibility of entrance (from the street to the institution)
- Ramp to allow access to the main interior gate.
- Armrests inside all roads and sections of the health unit.
- Adaptation of bathrooms
- Installation of guiding signs and posts
The following was also achieved during August:
- 90 persons with disabilities got different vocational training opportunities such as: Computer maintenance/Sewing/leather.. )
- 7 campaigns for repairing and maintaining prosthetic devices were conducted via CEOSS mobile unit, 64 persons with disabilities benefited from these campaigns