First the Health Program:
CEOSS participated in the discussion held on the National Strategic Plan for Population 2015 – 2030. CEOSS implemented the first activities of the constituency dialogue regarding the population and the strategic plan for population during 2015 – 2030. A meeting was held under the auspices of Dr. Adel Adawi, the minister of health and population, in cooperation with the General Union for civil institutions and associations, in addition to the National Council for Population. The meeting was held on Sunday 26th of October 2014, covering Cairo, Giza and Qalubeyia. It was organized with the participation of 280 people representing the National Council for Population, the ministry of health and population, Christian and Muslim religious leaders, in addition to other concerned parties from research institutes and civil organizations that work on health issues. The meeting discussed the following points:
- The current situation of the population issue as well as its social, economic and social aspects
- The National Strategic Plan of Population during 2015 – 2030
- The population issue and Egypt Constitution.
The meeting concluded a set of recommendations including:
- Implementing integrated development inputs in order to confront the population issues
- Greater role of the civil society
- Appropriate financial resources
- Nontraditional ideas for solving the population issue
- Media and its awareness role in changing the community trends
These aimed at achieving balance in number and potential as well as reaching a healthy community and fulfilling all its needs. This was also done through
1- Coordinating with the health directorates inside the local communities in order to cooperate in the constituency awareness of women about the importance of vaccinating children (the national campaign against polio from the age of one day to five years under the auspices of the ministry of health). CEOSS participated in with more than one method:
- Prepared awareness banners on the dates of Polio campaigns and their importance. Also awareness panels were held for the mothers inside the local communities.
- Referred children to health units and places of implementing campaigns inside the communities.
- Vaccinated 50 children who were referred by the constituency leaders inside the local communities.
2- Implementing osteoporosis analysis for 324 women who are among the most vulnerable people to osteoporosis diseases. The analysis was carried out in cooperation with the pharmaceutical campaigns of the private sector as well as specialized doctors.
3- Examining 390 children who are most vulnerable to malnutrition diseases from one day till five years old. 150 malnourished children were discovered. They regularly visited the clinics of malnutrition and health units in order to provide health guidance to mothers through 2 awareness classes for 50 mothers.
4- Held health awareness meetings for 627 mothers who had children from one day to five years old, pregnant women and community members. The meetings discussed general health diseases as well as the proper nutrition principles for children at the growth age.
5- Implemented prenatal care for 81 pregnant women by participating in the safe motherhood, carrying out prenatal examinations and analysis for 41 women of them. Also provided health guidance on how to avoid pregnancy risks, what are the signs of danger, how pregnant women can react upon facing such dangers and the importance of regular prenatal care throughout the pregnancy period in order to reach the safe delivery of their babies.
Second the Eye Program:
CEOSS eye program seeks to reduce the causes of blindness among the poor, marginalized and most vulnerable groups of blindness, in addition to eye diseases especially women and children inside the local communities of Minia, Beni Suef, Cairo and Qalubeyia.
The following points were implemented:
– Examined and detected 7829 cases of the targeted children from one day to 15 years old, in addition to elder people 45 years old and above, of whom 4184 were women inside the local communities. These examinations were implemented in order to reduce causes of blindness. Also provided medications for 2879 cases, corrected the sights of 217 cases by supplying them with medical eyeglasses, and conducted minor surgeries for 12 cases as well as major surgeries and cataract for 90 cases.
– CEOSS prepared and implemented 2 celebrations for the World Sight Day under the slogan of “No more blindness that can be avoided”. The celebrations were attended by 60 people. The meetings activities started with the examination of 450 school students in cooperation with health directorates, educational directorates, media and partner community based organizations. CEOSS also implemented awareness activities for the children; puppets show about eye diseases and methods of prevention. Children participated in the implementation by paper and face drawings that expressed the event and explained the global day for the school students. Balloons with the slogan of the global vision day as well as health messages for eye protection were distributed.
– The school celebrations were followed by 2 discussion sessions with the vision 2020 committee initiative, in which 60 people participated. They represented the elected committees of eye program projects in the local communities, undersecretary of the ministry of health at the level of the Minia Governorate, school health, educational directorate, directors of the ophthalmology hospitals, doctors of the school health, ministry of social solidarity and media.