The housing and environmental program aims at empowering the poor and marginalized families to obtain healthy, environmental and secure habitation in addition to improving the environmental status of the partner local communities.
The housing program implemented a set of interventions as follows:
- Built the capacities of the local leaders at the partner committees in order to manage the housing project through the project local committee.
- Reaching the needy groups through selecting families without any discrimination or distinction and based upon definite criteria.
- Built and renovated houses of low income families through a number of interventions such as (demolishing and building old houses, installing wooden ceilings, installing concrete ceilings, painting works, wall finishing, installing clean water, sewage system …) in terms of revolving loans.
- Sustaining the revolving capital money inside the community in order to benefit the largest number of beneficiaries inside the local communities.
- Enabling the well to do families to help the poor ones in building their houses.
- Implementing a number of models for improving the environmental status at the local communities.
The following was achieved during this month:
- Built the capacities of the partner committee members of the housing project in 11 partner communities on the various stages of the project implementation (collecting requests, sorting the requests, conducting field studies for the houses, issuing first instalment cheques, monitoring the implementation works, issuing second instalment cheques and monitoring the final work stages).
- Conducting the housing program steps at 9 partner local communities in order to access the needy categories and select families without any discrimination or distinction. The program collected the submitted requests and implemented their primary sorting process, besides, field visits were organized for the houses sites. Hence 420 houses were studied and selected 159 houses that were applicable to the program criteria.
- Provided loans for 148 new families in order to improved their environmental and health conditions through (demolishing and building new houses, renovations inside old houses as well as reformation and renovation process).
- Through implementing the environmental component of improving the eye health project solid wastes collection services were provided for 469 families at Abioha community at Minia Governorate.
- Trained 16 constituency leaders on the contents of the environmental awareness manual that will be applied at the women’s classes.