The Environment and Housing Program aims at empowering the poor and marginalized families to obtain healthy, environmental and secure habitation, as well as improving the environmental status for the partner local communities. The program is implemented through a number of interventions as follows:
- Improving and building the capacities of local leaders of partner committees in order to manage the project housing work by local committees.
- Reaching the needy categories of people through selecting families without any discrimination or distinction based upon definite criteria.
- Building and renewing houses for low income families through a number of interventions such as (demolishing and building old houses, installing wooden ceilings, installing concrete ceilings, painting works, wall finishing, installing clean water, sewage system …) in terms of revolving loans.
- Sustaining the revolving capital money inside the community in order to benefit the largest number of beneficiaries inside the local communities.
- Enabling the well to do families to help the poor ones in building their houses.
The following was achieved during this month:
- Built the capacities of the partner committee members of the housing project in 11 partner communities on the various stages of the project implementation (collecting requests, sorting the requests, conducting field studies for the houses, issuing first instalment cheques, monitoring the implementation works, issuing second instalment cheques and monitoring the final work stages).
- Conducting the housing program steps at 9 partner local communities in order to access the needy categories and select families without any discrimination or distinction. The program collected the submitted requests and implemented their primary sorting process, besides, field visits were organized for the houses sites. Hence 140 houses were studied and selected 127 houses that were applicable to the program criteria.
- Provided loans for 115 new families in order to improve their environmental and health conditions through (demolishing and building new houses, renovations inside old houses as well as reformation and renovation process).