Local initiatives have been implemented with the aim of improving the quality of life for persons with disabilities. 1987 persons with disabilities and their families have benefitted from these initiatives. They can be summed up as follows:
- Initiatives to provide persons with disabilities with specialized rehabilitation services:
– Rehabilitating 50 children with mental disabilities through child clubs and issuing 73 disability cards.
– Rehabilitating and training 64 persons with hearing disabilities and their families in sign language in Qalyoubia Governorate.
- Initiatives to provide persons with disabilities with their rights in the freedom of movement and independent living:
– Rehabilitating 65 houses for persons with disability thus reinforcing freedom of moving independently
– Rehabilitating 3 public establishments in Cairo Governorate visited by 400 persons with disabilities per month in order to be convenient for the movement of persons with disabilities inside them.
- Initiatives to provide persons with disabilities with their recreational rights:
– 6 trips and 1 camp were conducted for 312 persons with disabilities and their families.
- Initiatives for providing persons with disabilities with their health rights:
– Health initiatives have been implemented in cooperation with Beni-Suef Health Directorate from which 160 persons with disabilities in Beni-Suef have benefitted.
- Initiatives for providing persons with disabilities with their educational rights:
– 324 children with disabilities enrolled in educational integration schools in Beni-Suef have obtained their rights in practicing sports and recreational activities. This achievement coincided with with the celebration of the International Day for Persons with Disabilities.
– Raising awareness of 312 children with disabilities and without disabilities and their families in educational integration
- Initiatives for correcting false concepts related to disability:
– Conducting a series of awareness raising workshops and camps attended by 692 persons with disabilities and their families in correct concepts of disability and the rights of persons with disabilities in their local communities.
Three workshops were conducted and attended by 132 persons with disabilities representing the elected committees in the governorates of Minia, Cairo, and Beni-Suef in the project’s work areas as well as civil society activists and the National Council for Persons with Disabilities. The aim of the workshops was to present the drafts of the new disability law submitted by the National Council for Persons with Disabilities and the Ministry of Social Solidarity to persons with disabilities in order to reach a consensual draft of the law in which persons with disabilities have participated. Some important recommendations were reached to amend and change some of the articles as well as suggesting other articles. These are to be formulated in a detailed report to present to official entities and to implement a rally to pressure for the passing of the law as the persons with disabilities themselves want.