- Social gender balance
- The main element in development is the human being not only as a beneficiary from development but also as a maker of development and accordingly it requires a positive participation from all members of society especially the woman.
- Effective participation for woman is closely related to her economic and social situation and to the pattern of cultural restrictions.
- Achieving sustainable development would not be possible without the participation of woman at various levels whether social, political or economical.
- Development is a human right guaranteed for man and woman equally.
First: The basic concepts related to the principle of gender balance
- Social Gender
The concept of social gender refers to the social roles played by women and men which are defined according to the culture of a certain society as the roles , responsibilities, behaviors and values which are suitable for both man and women in that very same society. They differ from one society to the other and from one social and economic class to the other. They also change from one time to the other within the same society.
- The triple role of women in society
- The productive role: It includes production of commodities/services /trade/… Both men and women participate in productive work. But mostly the productive work of woman is unseen and of less value than the work of man.
- The role of giving birth / the family role: It covers giving birth to children, looking after them and managing the family Although it is essential for the survival of the human being, but it is not regarded as a real job. It is regarded as a main responsibility for women only.
- The societal role : It includes activities that are carried out by women for various reasons at a local level; such as organizing farmers , environmental agricultural activities that serve society/ participating in NGO’s
- Equality between genders
It is the equality in rights, responsibilities and opportunities for men and women in societies and the equality at work and at home.
- Gaps between the two Genders :
Undesired societal differences between man and woman.
- Qualitative gaps
It is the extent of difference and differentiation between individual on gender basis in relation to the distribution of sources, revenues, provisions of services, rights and duties.
Second: The most important achievements that have been accomplished
- Participation of lady farmers in the organization of farmers throughout the different levels from the beginning of membership till the elected committees with a percentage that is not less than 30 %.
- 1800 women are enabled to manage andimplement small agricultural projects in rural areas.
- More than 2000 women have been made to acquire skills for the sorting out and packing and making use of agricultural products during the development of chains of value related to the products of small farmers.