The objective of the project:
The general objective of the project is improving the kind of life for children who are exposed to danger (the children who are working and the street children) through enabling them to obtain their rights, especially the health and education rights. This project is built on the previous expertise of The Coptic Evangelical Organization, in working with children who are exposed to danger (children who are working, street children, handicapped children and the families of the three categories) with the aim of improving their kind of life.
Objectives and Indications
The first objective: Empowering and supporting 5 elected children committees and the family members of the children exposed to danger, in order to apply tangible models in the field of advocacy and acquiring support for what is related to the rights and opportunities for education and health services.
The second objective: Boosting the institutional capacity for 9 public enterprises and 5 local societies and 5 children’s elected committees to that they would be able to improve their performance and fulfill their obligations, through being committed to the children who are exposed to danger.
The third objective: Improving the kind of life for children exposed to danger and their families through public and private local initiatives which in turn leads to improving the opportunities for education and improving the opportunities to obtain health services and the general protection of their rights.
There will be 30-50 societal volunteers who will take part in implementing this project. These are the children who are ready to serve as peer teachers side by side with the elected committees of children and they will serve as an example for mobilizing and supporting other targeted children who are exposed to danger.
Also the families of the children exposed to danger and the inhabitants of the district (especially focusing on women) This will help them resist the idea of working children and will also help them encourage children to make use of education opportunities, especially those who have taken part in organizing previous projects at the organization. Those will also follow up on other mothers with regard to children attending regularly at school.
The gathered volunteers will be trained (children and adults) by the organizations of the civil society on knowledge and skills which allow them to provide help to their communities. For example the volunteering leaders will be responsible for awareness campaigns, mobilization of society and models of advocacy. Their participation will guarantee the sustainability of the program and will provide them with a new role in their communities and families.
The targeted geographical districts
El Salam district and Shoubra El Khaima in Cairo governorate.
East of the Nile and El Hrafyen district in Beni Suef governorate.
The main targeted group of the project is as follows
500 working children and their families.
50 street children and their families (if they are specified)
5 children’s committees which are democratically elected.
5 organizations of the civil society.
The secondary targeted group
9 governmental associations (Social Solidarity administrations, education, manpower and health)
100 private companies (Business owners and those who are responsible for working children)
2500 families of the working children.
The organization seeks to guarantee that at least 40 % of the targeted people are women.
The elected committees from children will participate all along the project in its different stages as follows:
- Specifying the needs of the targeted children.
- Designing the required interventions and activities.
- Choosing the advocacy issue and setting an advocacy plan.
This will take place with the help of a team from the organization and the representatives of partner NGO’s.
Time schedule for the commencement and termination of the project
The project begins in January 2013 and ends in December 2015.
|Third Year||Second year||First year||Activities|
|Preparations (Obtaining an acceptance from social affairs, forming a working team and informing them about the project)|
|Building the capacities of the organization’s working team in the fields of an approach based on rights, reading the laws and regulations, Designing and monitoring the earnings campaign and supporting advocacy etc.|
|Final choosing of the partner associations of the project|
|Conducting a self evaluation workshop for the public associations, societies and chosen committees|
|Designing intervention plans to define and fill the performance gaps|
|Conducting training workshops and lectures related to performance (management, setting budgets, designing the program, distributing the sources, follow up and assessment)|
|Implementing an annual assessment to show the extent of progress and development|
|Organizing the election of 5 democratic committees from the children|
|Forming coordination committees from the children’s elected committees, governmental associations and enterprises at the level of targeted regions|
|Defining the lost and violated rights|
|Building the capacities of 5 elected children’s committees in the field of earning, supporting advocacy to include raising the awareness of rights|
|Conducting a workshop for the key partners (representatives of governmental enterprises, associations, and elected committees) to discuss the results of the research study based upon field reality and that it is to define the priorities of work in each neighborhood|
|Preparing a data base for the conditions of the children before the interventions, monitoring the interventions of each child periodically and monitoring the progress of children’s conditions|
|Signing implementation contracts between associations and elected committees on the one side and the organization on the other side|
|Displaying the content of the plans and protocols to the public and that is in order
to provide information and take notes
|Implementing the local initiatives|
|Signing a protocol /a Memorandum of Understanding between the organization and the associations and the elected committees on the one side, and the governmental associations on the other side|
|Preparing a training for the different parties so that they would be qualified to implement the required activities according to the plans and budgets
|The children and experts together offer special suggestions for changing the regulation of policies and submitting them to the policy and opinion makers|
|Implementing 2 earning campaigns, supporting advocacy and raising the awareness related to the topics concerning children in danger at a district level|
|A participatory assessment and monitoring for the amendments or changes which may be required|
|Conducting a final workshop for the project to spread and review the lessons learnt|
– Conducting a workshop annually at a national level for all those concerned and that is to exchange expertise and reflect policies. (This activity is not mentioned in the time plan of the project but it is mentioned in the document of the project in the English Language)
The expected outputs of the project (Quantity and Quality):
- Defining the priorities of the project related to system policies and building the required capacities.
- Existing interventions in all working areas and for all targeted categories.
- A coordination committee was formed in each area and some decisions were taken to activate the decisions related to activating the regulations and policies
- Forming 5 children’s democratic elected committees acknowledged by the governmental enterprises, which contribute in the local interventions operation.
- Written suggestions that call for change which were viewed by the policy makers.
- Implementing 2 earning campaigns and supporting the advocacy at the level of districts.
- Making self evaluation reports for the public enterprises, association and children’s committees.
- Making intervention plans for the public enterprises, association and children’s committees and getting acquainted with the specified resources for the targeted groups according to their requirements and needs as well as making annual assessments.
- Making the governmental leaders and the associations as well as the members of elected committees acquire new skills related to management and collecting money, as well as negotiations and communication skills.
- Establishing clear links between governmental associations and enterprises and elected committees
- Establishing a data base regarding the conditions of children in danger who are affiliated to the targeted group of the project and recording the developments.
- Making executive plans for the local initiatives at the targeted areas and showing them to the public.
- Taking local initiatives to improve the quality of life for the children exposed to danger at the targeted neighborhoods.
- Merging or remerging the children exposed to danger in official and unofficial education and providing them with health services.
- Increasing the number of workshops which follow the criteria of safety and security.
Evaluation and follow up
Evaluation and follow up take place continuously all along the project. The head of the program obtains Quarterly reports from the field employees and collects them in a quarterly report and sends them to the employee responsible for authentications and reports who will then send them to the donating authority. Furthermore the project will authenticate the progress and development of activities in the way that it reaches other organizations concerned.
The follow up and quality control unit at CEOSS will monitor and follow up the project. The quarterly review will take place through meetings which are held by this unit of beneficiaries, government officials and experts in addition to home visits. The report for evaluation of recommendations will be developed and submitted to the associations and to those concerned.
And on the general level of the project, the above indications of success (or failure will be used in the process of measuring and evaluating the achievements of the project. The project will be internally evaluated at the end of its period.